Court Discharges Boko Haram Suspect Over Murder Of Expatriates

0
379
Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.

A Federal High Court in Abuja has discharged a suspected Boko Ha­ram member, Usman Abuba­kar (aka Mugiratu) arraigned alongside six others on an 11-count charge of abduction and murder.

Abubakar, who was the 6th defendant in the cases, was al­legedly involved in the abduc­tion of seven foreigners from a construction site in Bauchi State and conveyed them to Sambisa Forest in Borno where they were killed in February 2013.

At the resumed trial on Tues­day, the prosecuting counsel, Mr. Shuaibu Labaran, told the court of a development which was filled on Monday, stress­ing that the prosecution had no case against the accused.

Labaran said that among other features in the amended information is the “striking out” of Usman Abubakar as a defendant, in line with the in­formation filled on February 23, 2017, and the addition of two other defendants: Moham­med Sani and Abubakar Abdul­rahman Habib, culminating in a total of eight defendants.

He prayed the court for an adjournment to enable him pro­duce the two new defendants who would subsequently take their plea and face trial.

The defence counsel did not object the request, but urged the court to make the prosecu­tion provide the new defendants with relevant documents for speedy trial.

The discharged defendants’ counsel, Mr. K.Abdulkarim, em­phasised on the time Abubakar had been in custody and urged the court to discharge him.

In a short ruling, the trial judge, Justice John Tsoho, struck out Abubakar’s name who has spent 5 years in custody await­ing trial.

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here